Thursday, January 20, 2011

Post #1--Introduction: Dr. Karyn Hollis

Hi Everyone-- Dr. Hollis Here.
This is my 21st year at Villanova! I've been very happy since I got here. One reason is because before VU, I spent 5 years at Dickinson College, and I was tired of the small town life (Carlisle, PA). I am going backwards, but before Dickinson I did my Ph.D. at the University of Southern California. I really enjoyed California--especially all the sunshine. I was used to that being from Texas (Corpus Christi) originally.

I did my Masters at the University of Texas in Austin, and that's where I met my husband. In 1988 we had a son who's now 22 and a senior at Syracuse University.

Our greatest family activity has been our house trading ventures to Europe every summer. Through a home exchange organization (Intervac.com and HomeExchange.com), we have traded with families from Spain, Italy, and France. They venture to our house in Wynnewood, PA to live for about 3 weeks, and we go to their homes--most have been right on the Mediterranean coast. This summer we went back to Provence in France, but the middle week of our three week vacation, we went to Senegal--the hardest but most meaningful trip we've ever taken. I hope you can all go to Africa for the very enlightening experience it is!

I also travel to South America over spring break with students in my travel writing class. I've been to Costa Rica, Chile, Peru and Brazil. This spring break I willtake my travel writing class to Argentina to see Buenos Aires, Iguasu Falls and the glaciers of Patagonia! Anyone want to come with us? See me.

I lived in Europe 7 years quite a while back: three years in Paris, three in London and one in Bilbao, Spain. I speak fluent Spanish and French. While in London I was assistant editor of Harper's Wine and Spirit Gazette. That was an exciting point in my life--I was paid to report on wine tasting events all over London! And that's where I got most of the experience that relates to many of my courses. I also have a BA in Journalism from the University of Texas.

I have recently published a book about the way writing was taught at the Bryn Mawr Summer School for Women Workers, 1922-1938. And I have just finished editing a book about the role of intellectuals in society with Dr. Silvia Nagy-Zekmi, Director of the Cultural Studies Program here at Villanova.

At Villanova I have been director of the Writing Center and Writing Program. Then seven years ago, I established a Concentration in Writing and Rhetoric. Maybe it will interest some of you. You can combine the Concentration with any major, but it goes especially well with English or Communication majors since "double dipping" of courses is allowed. It will certify that you have taken extra courses in order to become a better communicator and writer. This course can count toward the Concentration. Check out the Concentration here. http://www.writingprogram.villanova.edu/concentration So that's about it. Hope to read more of your self-introductions soon! Dr. Hollis --

No comments:

Post a Comment